OVERVIEW OF THE NORTHERN REGION
Geographical location: The Red River Delta (RRD) is located just south of the tropical north line, between latitude 22 ° 00 'and 21 ° 30' North and longitude 105 ° 30 'and 107 ° 00' East.
- Geographical location: The Red River Delta (RRD) is located just south of the tropical north line, between latitude 22 ° 00 'and 21 ° 30' North and longitude 105 ° 30 'and 107 ° 00' Bronze.
The natural area is 23,336 km2, the population in 2012 is 20.2 million people. The Red River Delta area accounts for 7.1% of the country's land area and 22.7% of the country's population. The population density per square kilometer is 961 people, the highest of any other region in the country and possibly one of the most densely populated rural areas in the world. (The average density of the country is 268 people / km2). The population density of the Red River Delta region is 3.58 times higher than that of the whole country and 1.57 times that of the region with the second highest population density, the Southeast. Among the eight provinces and cities of the country with a population density of over 1,000 people / km2, the Red River Delta alone has 7 provinces and cities.
The North and the Northwest borders the midlands and mountains, rich in mineral resources and forests, the East borders the Gulf of Tonkin, has rich marine resources and is capable of oil and gas, the South borders the North Central, rich building materials and precious metals.
According to 2012 statistics, the Red River Delta has two cities directly under the Central Government (Hanoi and Hai Phong); 09 cities directly under the province; 16 districts, 6 towns, 96 districts; 364 wards; 122 towns and 1,965 communes.
- Strength in traffic: Red River Delta plays the role of the northern gateway to the country; Existing transportation systems such as: road, river, sea, air, railway, Hai Phong seaport, Noi Bai international airport (Hanoi, ... the link between the Red River Delta and the domestic economic regions and the expansion of exchange relations with other countries in the region and the world. The Red River Delta region is "adjacent" to China (the huge market of the whole world). and "not far from" countries in East - North Asia.
- Strength of natural resources: First of all, there are diverse ecological regions, including deltas, midlands and mountainous areas; There are fertile fields with the Red River delta. Such rich ecological regions are the basic conditions for the comprehensive development of agricultural, forestry and fishery commodity production. Thanks to that, Red River Delta is known as the granary; every year, the total output of grain foods, foods and many other agricultural products ranks second in the country (after the Mekong Delta); has made an important contribution to ensuring food security and agricultural commodities for export. In the region, there are a number of mineral resources with huge reserves such as: coal accounts for 98%, kaolin accounts for 40%, limestone accounts for 25% of the total reserves of the country.
- Human strengths: The Red River Delta has a large human resource, high educational level of the people, a concentration of talented intellectuals, people with a tradition of hard work and creativity. The region has about 26% of the cadres with college and university degrees, 72% of the cadres with postgraduate degrees, and 23.6% of the technical workforce of the country. There are nearly 100 colleges, universities, 70 professional high schools, 60 technical worker schools and 40 vocational schools; hundreds of specialized research institutes, including many leading institutes, more than 20 leading hospitals, are one of the three specialized medical centers of the country; 100% of provinces and cities have completed primary and lower secondary education universalization at the prescribed age (the national target is by 2010). In fact, the Red River Delta is the leading region in the country in terms of quantity, quality of human resources and ability to research and deploy science, technology, education, training and health care for the people.
- Tourism strengths: The Red River Delta has great potentials to strongly develop tourism economy. The east of the region borders on the Gulf of Tonkin, with a total length of 620 km, has unique marine tourism resources with many beautiful beaches and famous landscapes. In the area there is Huong Tich cave, known as "the first heavenly cave", Ao Vua, Suoi Hai, Tam Coc, Bich Dong, Con Son, Pho Hien, ... There are more than 1,700 historical and cultural relics. ranking, accounting for 70% of monuments of the country. These are the basis for developing a diversified and plentiful tourism economy, creating an attraction to attract more and more domestic and foreign tourists to visit.
- Topography: The central area of the Red River Delta is very flat, mostly located at an altitude of between 0.4 m and 12 m above sea level, with 56% being less than 2m.
- Administrative units: including 11 provinces and cities: Hanoi, Hai Phong, Ha Tay, Hai Duong, Hung Yen, Bac Ninh, Vinh Phuc, Thai Binh, Ha Nam, Nam Dinh, Ninh Binh.
- Strength of location: The Red River Delta has great potential and many advantages compared to many other economic regions; has a very favorable position for socio-economic development. The Red River Delta has the advantage of having Hanoi as a political, economic and cultural center and a strategic area of particular importance in terms of politics, socio-economy, national defense and security. foreign country. The Red River Delta also has the northern key economic region with 7 provinces and centrally-run cities, including: Hanoi, Hai Phong, Hai Duong, Hung Yen, Ha Tay, Vinh Phuc and Bac Ninh. This is also a dynamic economic region of the country.
- Growth rate: In the five years 2001-2005, the Red River Delta region achieved a high economic growth rate, the regional economic growth rate reached 10.41% / year, 1.4 times higher than the rate. national average. The average income per capita reached 7.83 million VND / person / year, increasing 22% compared with 2000. In 2005 alone, the region contributed 21.5% of GDP; 15.4% of export value; 26% of total national budget revenue.
- Regarding the economic structure: continue to move in a positive direction. In which, the proportion of agriculture, forestry and fishery decreased, industry and services increased rapidly.
Orientation for economic development to 2020
- A number of major targets by 2020: To accelerate the regional economic growth. To strive to achieve an average GDP of 24.7 - 28.7% / year by 2020, GDP per capita of USD 4,180 / person / year 2020. Achieve a rapid economic growth rate, equal to 1.2-1. , 3 times the national average growth rate. The economic structure in GDP by 2020 is expected to be around 7.5% for agriculture, forestry and fishery, about 47% for industry and construction, and about 48% for services.
- Tasks and solutions to develop a number of sectors and fields:
- Regarding agriculture: On the basis of completing the creation of a group of good plant and animal breeds, forming commodity production areas eligible for export and developing the processing industry. Spending about 300,000 ha for cultivating specialty rice, converting some low-lying rice fields to precarious crops, raising specialty animals to bring the average income of 70 - 75 million VND / ha in 2012 to about 140 - 150 million VND / ha by 2020. To form regions of rice for export and areas for production of rice, maize, vegetables, food, fruit trees and high-quality industrial crops in Hai Duong, Nam Dinh and Thai Binh provinces. , Ha Tay, Hung Yen, Bac Ninh, Vinh Phuc. Develop aquaculture, coastal fishing, combine offshore fishing, encourage export processing. Planting and zoning off forests for protection in Hai Duong, Vinh Phuc, Ha Tay and Ninh Binh provinces. Protect mangrove forests and coastal protection forests.
- Industry: To prioritize the development of efficient production industries and contribute to exportation; electronics industry, software; the production of high-end consumer goods; mechanical industry for agriculture; processing industry of agricultural, forestry and aquatic products; building materials industry. Renovate and add necessary equipment to industrial establishments that manufacture machine tools and complete equipment to ensure production of machine tools, equipment for processing agricultural products and foods, and equipment for light industry , manufacturing spare parts for cement factories, supplying spare parts for sugar factories, producing brick and tile equipment lines, mixing concrete. Focusing on attracting businesses to fill 9 industrial zones that have been licensed and are implementing construction of infrastructure, not opening new industrial parks. Promote investment in Hao Lac Xuan Mai high-tech park. Building small and medium-sized industrial zones in Hung Yen (Nhu Quynh Industrial Park, Pho Noi A, Pho Noi B), Ha Nam (Dong Van Industrial Park), Ninh Binh (Tam Diep Industrial Park), Nam Dinh (Loc Ha Industrial Park, Thai Binh (Tien Hai Industrial Park, Bac Ninh (Que Vo Industrial Park), Hai Duong (Nam Sach Industrial Park, Phu Thai). At the same time, develop many craft villages towards export, rural industrialization and job creation.
- Trade and tourism development: Exploit effectively the existing supermarket, develop trade-advertising-fair centers. Effectively exploit the unique tourist routes to attract tourists, open more international tourist routes connecting Hanoi, Hai Phong, Ha Long with other countries in the world and in the region. First of all, to build key tourist projects: Tam Coc - Bich Dong, the cultural village of Vietnamese ethnic groups, Dong Mo Ngai Son tourist area. Develop in a modern direction towards telecommunications, banking, and consulting services.