Ho Chi Minh City tops nation in FDI attraction
Ho Chi Minh City tops the nation in terms of foreign direct investment (FDI) attraction, 30 years since the first foreign investor was allowed to operate in Vietnam on January 1, 1988.
According to the Ministry of Planning and Investment’s Foreign Investment Agency (FIA), over the three decades, the city has granted investment licences to 7,494 projects worth US$44.5 billion, accounting for 13.9% of the nation’s total FDI.
During the period, the largest economic hub of Vietnam has sometimes lost its top position, but was always in the top ten localities attracting the most foreign investment.
The result has been aided by billion-US dollar projects, which, experts said, have helped form the first models for FDI attraction in Vietnam. Tan Thuan export processing zone was the first model that the city created. Since its formation in 1991, Tan Thuan has attracted more than 100 investors, and generated big production and export values yearly.
Export processing zones and industrial parks in the city have helped turn more than 3,500 hectares of agricultural soil contaminated with alum and salinity into well-equipped industrial zones, creating jobs for about 250,000 labourers.
Ho Chi Minh City also became the first locality to welcome big names like Intel, Samsung, Toshiba, Mercedes, Isuzu and Nidec, creating breakthroughs in production and development.
The FIA said that the city continued leading the nation in FDI attraction in the first quarter of this year, with a total of US$1.7 billion – a fourfold increase compared with the same period last year.
Director of the municipal Department of Planning and Investment Su Ngoc Anh said that the number of projects and investment capital will continue to rise in the rest of this year.
He emphasised share purchases, as this type of investment enjoyed a fivefold increase against the same period last year, with a focus on real estate, science and technology and tourism.
Therefore, in the future, the city will facilitate foreign investors, who want to contribute capital to or buy shares of Vietnamese businesses by offering online registration.
Anh added that the city will consider measures to attract more investment in real estate, science and technology and tourism, while seeking to create an equally competitive investment environment.
- Competence to approve investment policies (02/04/2021)
- National Assembly To Relieve Top State, Government Leaders (02/04/2021)
- Around US$700-million-worth Vietnamese Goods Stuck In Suez Canal (31/03/2021)
- Nearly 40,000 People In 19 Localities Vaccinated Against COVID-19 (29/03/2021)
- GDP Expands Nearly 5% In Q1 Despite COVID-19 Pandemic (29/03/2021)
- GE signs agreements with EVNGENCO 3 to boost largest power plants in Vietnam (28/03/2021)
- Textile FDI down but poised for strong growth: experts (28/03/2021)
- Trade surplus exceeds US$17 bln (26/03/2021)
- Highlights of Government’s Workload and Performance in 2016-2020 Period (26/03/2021)
- Gov’t Chief Holds Phone Talks With Chilean President (26/03/2021)
- Malaysian news portal appreciates Vietnam’s FDI attraction (26/03/2021)
- Malaysian news portal appreciates Vietnam’s FDI attraction (22/03/2021)
- HCMC to get four Japanese-built metro trains in summer (18/03/2021)
- Environmental admin procedure costs surge 39 pct (18/03/2021)
- HCM City: Real estate most attractive to foreign investors in first two months (15/03/2021)
- VN - bright spot in FDI attraction (12/03/2021)
- RoK becomes largest investor in VN (12/03/2021)
- HSBC: VN’s GDP growth poised to rebound 8.1% in 2021 (04/10/2020)
- Gov't has been active in luring high-quality FDI inflows (28/09/2020)
- ADB: Growth in corporate bonds in VN reaches 76% by end of June (28/09/2020)
- Viet Nam has golden chance to attract investment from Europe (29/07/2020)
- EuroCham speaks at the ASEAN Forum on Sub-Regional Development (21/07/2020)
- [EuroCham Webinar] Decision 13 – Final FIT for Renewable Energy in Vietnam (23/04/2020)
- THE SITUATION OF ATRACTTING FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN THE FIRST 3 MONTHS OF 2020 (19/04/2020)
- Key infrastructure projects calling for investment in HCMC (08/07/2019)
- Bac Ninh licenses 116 FDI projects in seven months (22/08/2018)
- Binh Phuoc licenses 24 projects worth $1 billion (22/08/2018)
- Hue targets $56mil in investment this year (15/08/2018)
- Hanoi seeks approval for Vingroup’s $300 million IT park (31/07/2018)
- List of Project Calling For Investment in Lam Dong Province in 2018 (31/07/2018)
- Kien Giang calls for investment in 12 resort projects (31/07/2018)
- Decree amendments open paid TV firms to foreign investment (30/07/2018)
- Vietnam: Opportunities in the Waste-to-Energy Sector (24/07/2018)
- Can Tho City seeks investment for 54 projects worth $5.4 billion (20/07/2018)
- Hoa Lac High-tech Park aims for $1 billion investment in 2018 (19/07/2018)
- Large-scale undersea tunnel to be constructed next year (19/07/2018)
- Investment Plan: SAIGON HUONG NAM RESORT (23/09/2020)
- OVERVIEW OF THE NORTHERN REGION (16/09/2020)
- OVERVIEW OF THE SOUTHERN REGION (15/09/2020)
- A project of specialized factories for manufacturing ICT - DITP ICT accessories (08/08/2020)
- THU THUA INDUSTRIAL ZONE (15/01/2020)
- Map of industrial parks in Vietnam (23/07/2019)
- 493 Projects Invested in Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones (09/02/2018)
- Thai Binh Strives to Attract Investment Capital of VND 5000 billion in Industrial Parks and Economic Zones (07/02/2018)
- Vinh Phuc Adds 4 New FDI Projects in Industrial Zones (07/02/2018)
- Dung Quat EZ and Quang Ngai IPs Attracted 258 Projects with a Total Investment Capital of More Than US$ 11 Billion (30/01/2018)
- Solutions to attract Investment Capital into Industrial Parks in Bac Giang Province (19/01/2018)
- Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones Received 66 new Investment Projects (08/01/2018)