UK seeks bilateral FTA with Vietnam in light of Brexit
The UK’s upcoming withdrawal from the EU has triggered a need for the former to seek a potential free trade agreement with Vietnam, which is expected to help expand bilateral trade and investment ties.
Tran Ngoc An, Vietnam’s Ambassador to the UK, told VIR that the UK will officially leave the EU on March 29, 2019, which has prompted the country to strengthen its trade and investment ties with its partners. “Vietnam is viewed by British investors as one of the most attractive destinations for business in the Asia-Pacific region,” An said. “[Due to Brexit], the UK side has been proactively working with the Vietnamese side on boosting new bilateral co-operation mechanisms, including a potential free trade agreement (FTA).”
UK seeks bilateral FTA with Vietnam in light of Brexit
An FTA refers to a free trade area where commerce in goods and services can be conducted across their common borders, without tariffs or hindrances.
“I believe that if the FTA comes, a new wave of UK investments will hit Vietnam, and Vietnam-UK trade turnover will strongly increase,” An said.
Economist Oliver Reynolds from Spain-based FocusEconomics, which provides in-depth economic analysis globally, also told VIR that after Brexit, the UK will look to continue to nurture its blossoming relationship with Vietnam, and “is almost certain to use the agreement signed between the EU and Vietnam as the basis for a bilateral trade deal, whether or not the EU agreement comes into force before the departure date”.
“In its current form, the deal would eliminate over 99 per cent of the tariffs between the two countries, and hack away at non-tariff barriers, such as regulations, intellectual property rights, and sustainable development,” Reynolds said.
According to the British Business Group Vietnam (BBGV), Vietnam is a great magnet for UK investors. During the fiscal year of 2017-2018, there was rising interest in doing business in Vietnam among UK companies.
“The Business Centre received a total of 339 enquiries, from which we commissioned 40 services to arrange meetings for UK companies to meet Vietnamese partners and deliver their services/products in Vietnam,” BBGV said in a bulletin released two weeks ago.
“Compared to the fiscal year of 2016-2017, the number of enquiries and services commissioned rose by 183 and 235 per cent, respectively. The number of export opportunities to Vietnam increased from 48 to 163. The number of responses to these opportunities from the UK rose from 71 to 615, eight times higher than last year,” the bulletin said.
As part of the intensifying relationships, VinaCapital recently took a delegation of Vietnamese companies to the UK to seek partners.
“The UK’s big companies that I have met with highly value the Vietnamese market, which they said has great potential in growth in the medium and long terms,” An stressed. “They are particularly interested in investing in the sectors of services, finance, insurance, IT, and high-tech consultancy.”
Vietnam-UK bilateral trade expanded to $6.1 billion last year, with Vietnam exporting $5.4 billion and importing $700 million worth of goods, resulting in a huge trade surplus with the UK. In this year’s first five months, the bilateral trade turnover grew by 40 per cent, according to An.
As of August 20, the UK had 341 valid investment projects registered at $3.57 billion in Vietnam. Currently, many large UK companies, such as BP, BHP Billiton, Vodafone, P&O, Pilkington, Vietnam Gas Conversion System, GlaxoSmithKline, HSBC, and Standard Chartered, are operating in Vietnam with much success.
Two weeks ago, Foreign and Commonwealth Office Minister for Asia and the Pacific Mark Field said that the UK is exploring opportunities to raise its engagement with the ASEAN, including Vietnam, when it exits the EU, and is planning to step up partnerships for mutual benefit in areas such as education, innovation, smart cities, and cyber technology.
“In Vietnam, we are increasing our work to support sustained and inclusive economic growth. Over the next three years, programmes on low carbon energy, infrastructure development, healthcare reform, and trade will be rolled out,” Field said. “We are also working closely with the Vietnamese government on economic reform and governance practices, and trying to find better ways to mobilise funding for public investment.”
- FDI in Vietnam – Where is the Investment Going? (12/08/2019)
- HCM City solicits investment in infrastructure (30/07/2019)
- Vietnam - Japan Business Matching Symposium 2019 (29/07/2019)
- RoK’s rural development group to invest in smart farming in Vietnam (15/07/2019)
- FDI reaches record level in four months (08/07/2019)
- Powering 220 kV Southern Sai Gon - Urban District 8 transmission line (27/06/2019)
- EVFTA Press Release - Official Announcement from the EU (26/06/2019)
- PM calls on Korean investors to expand operations in Vietnam (12/11/2018)
- E-commerce golden pass for logistics (12/11/2018)
- Hoa Phu Industrial Park - The destination of success (12/11/2018)
- Long Thanh airport’s feasibility study approved (12/11/2018)
- Renewable energy projects spur foreign investment surge (02/11/2018)
- New innovation centre to provide grounds for Vietnam 4.0 (02/11/2018)
- National Assembly set to ratify historic trade deal (02/11/2018)
- Overseas financiers outline obstacles (02/11/2018)
- Moody’s upgrades ratings on Vietnamese banks (01/11/2018)
- Foreign investors expand networks in Vietnam (01/11/2018)
- Altus Capital funded to invest in distressed Southeast Asian companies (01/11/2018)
- More FDI to reach southern region (01/11/2018)
- Foreign fashion giants set footprint in Vietnam through M&A (31/10/2018)
- Key infrastructure projects calling for investment in HCMC (08/07/2019)
- Bac Ninh licenses 116 FDI projects in seven months (22/08/2018)
- Binh Phuoc licenses 24 projects worth $1 billion (22/08/2018)
- Hue targets $56mil in investment this year (15/08/2018)
- Hanoi seeks approval for Vingroup’s $300 million IT park (31/07/2018)
- List of Project Calling For Investment in Lam Dong Province in 2018 (31/07/2018)
- Kien Giang calls for investment in 12 resort projects (31/07/2018)
- Decree amendments open paid TV firms to foreign investment (30/07/2018)
- Vietnam: Opportunities in the Waste-to-Energy Sector (24/07/2018)
- Can Tho City seeks investment for 54 projects worth $5.4 billion (20/07/2018)
- Hoa Lac High-tech Park aims for $1 billion investment in 2018 (19/07/2018)
- Large-scale undersea tunnel to be constructed next year (19/07/2018)
- THU THUA INDUSTRIAL ZONE (15/01/2020)
- Map of industrial parks in Vietnam (23/07/2019)
- 493 Projects Invested in Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones (09/02/2018)
- Thai Binh Strives to Attract Investment Capital of VND 5000 billion in Industrial Parks and Economic Zones (07/02/2018)
- Vinh Phuc Adds 4 New FDI Projects in Industrial Zones (07/02/2018)
- Dung Quat EZ and Quang Ngai IPs Attracted 258 Projects with a Total Investment Capital of More Than US$ 11 Billion (30/01/2018)
- Solutions to attract Investment Capital into Industrial Parks in Bac Giang Province (19/01/2018)
- Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones Received 66 new Investment Projects (08/01/2018)