Thai investors jump into renewable energy sector in Vietnam
In addition to the retail, beer manufacturing, and plastic sector, Thai investors have increased their investment in the renewable energy sector, with the aim to diversify their operations in Vietnam.
Most recently, B. Grimm Power Plc., through its subsidiary B Grimm Renewable Power 2 Ltd., has completed the $35.2 million acquisition of its solar photovoltaic power project in Vietnam as part of the expansion of its portfolio of overseas renewable power projects.
Thai investors are behind some of the largest recent deal in renewable energy
Notably, B. Grimm bought an 80 per cent stake in Phu Yen TTP JSC, the project company investing and developing a 257MW PV scheme in the south central coastal province of Phu Yen.
The remaining part of the project will be developed by Truong Thanh Vietnam Group JSC (TTVN).
The above deal is part of SET-listed B. Grimm's rapid expansion of power generation equity in Thailand and overseas.
At the same time, TTVN Group completed the sale of 80 per cent stake in the Binh Nguyen solar power project in Quang Ngai to Sermsamg International Co., Ltd. for $17.6 million.
Also in June, the firm partnered up with one of the largest Vietnamese conglomerates, Xuan Cau Group, to develop the biggest solar power plant in Southeast Asia with the combined capacity of 420MW.
These deals are some of the most recent outstanding transactions conducted by Thai investors in the renewable energy sector.
Earlier in April, Gulf Energy Development Public Company Limited, the third largest energy producer in Thailand, announced the plan to establish a joint venture with a domestic firm to develop a solar farm in Tay Ninh province with a 51 per cent stake owned by Gulf.
According to the plan, the project will have the total investment capital of $66 million. The construction is expected to be kicked off in June this year and will start to generate power in June 2019 with the capacity of 48MW.
With 2,400 hours of sunshine per year, Tay Ninh is considered an ideal destination for solar farm investors.
Regarding the wind farm sector, in February, Thailand’s largest solar energy company Superblock Pcl. plans to invest $1.76 billion to install 700MW of wind farms in Vietnam.
The first phase of the investment will cost about $650 million and consist of three near-shore farms with 142MW of capacity in Bac Lieu, 98MW in Soc Trang, and 100MW in Ca Mau province, all in southern Vietnam.
The second phase (360MW) will also be built in these three provinces and construction will begin when the first phase is concluded.
Jormsup Lochaya, chairman of Superblock Pcl., said that the construction of these projects has already begun and expects the sites to be operational by 2020.
"The Feed-in-Tariff the Vietnamese government pays foreign investors is at $9.35 for solar and $9.80 for wind farms, which are very good rates," Jormsup said, adding that his company also planned to invest more in renewable projects in the Philippines, Indonesia, and Japan, with the aim of becoming a regional player.
However, to date, the investor has yet to issue further information on the projects.
- FDI in Vietnam – Where is the Investment Going? (12/08/2019)
- HCM City solicits investment in infrastructure (30/07/2019)
- Vietnam - Japan Business Matching Symposium 2019 (29/07/2019)
- RoK’s rural development group to invest in smart farming in Vietnam (15/07/2019)
- FDI reaches record level in four months (08/07/2019)
- Powering 220 kV Southern Sai Gon - Urban District 8 transmission line (27/06/2019)
- EVFTA Press Release - Official Announcement from the EU (26/06/2019)
- PM calls on Korean investors to expand operations in Vietnam (12/11/2018)
- E-commerce golden pass for logistics (12/11/2018)
- Hoa Phu Industrial Park - The destination of success (12/11/2018)
- Long Thanh airport’s feasibility study approved (12/11/2018)
- Renewable energy projects spur foreign investment surge (02/11/2018)
- New innovation centre to provide grounds for Vietnam 4.0 (02/11/2018)
- National Assembly set to ratify historic trade deal (02/11/2018)
- Overseas financiers outline obstacles (02/11/2018)
- Moody’s upgrades ratings on Vietnamese banks (01/11/2018)
- Foreign investors expand networks in Vietnam (01/11/2018)
- Altus Capital funded to invest in distressed Southeast Asian companies (01/11/2018)
- More FDI to reach southern region (01/11/2018)
- Foreign fashion giants set footprint in Vietnam through M&A (31/10/2018)
- [EuroCham Webinar] Decision 13 – Final FIT for Renewable Energy in Vietnam (23/04/2020)
- THE SITUATION OF ATRACTTING FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN THE FIRST 3 MONTHS OF 2020 (19/04/2020)
- Key infrastructure projects calling for investment in HCMC (08/07/2019)
- Bac Ninh licenses 116 FDI projects in seven months (22/08/2018)
- Binh Phuoc licenses 24 projects worth $1 billion (22/08/2018)
- Hue targets $56mil in investment this year (15/08/2018)
- Hanoi seeks approval for Vingroup’s $300 million IT park (31/07/2018)
- List of Project Calling For Investment in Lam Dong Province in 2018 (31/07/2018)
- Kien Giang calls for investment in 12 resort projects (31/07/2018)
- Decree amendments open paid TV firms to foreign investment (30/07/2018)
- Vietnam: Opportunities in the Waste-to-Energy Sector (24/07/2018)
- Can Tho City seeks investment for 54 projects worth $5.4 billion (20/07/2018)
- Hoa Lac High-tech Park aims for $1 billion investment in 2018 (19/07/2018)
- Large-scale undersea tunnel to be constructed next year (19/07/2018)
- THU THUA INDUSTRIAL ZONE (15/01/2020)
- Map of industrial parks in Vietnam (23/07/2019)
- 493 Projects Invested in Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones (09/02/2018)
- Thai Binh Strives to Attract Investment Capital of VND 5000 billion in Industrial Parks and Economic Zones (07/02/2018)
- Vinh Phuc Adds 4 New FDI Projects in Industrial Zones (07/02/2018)
- Dung Quat EZ and Quang Ngai IPs Attracted 258 Projects with a Total Investment Capital of More Than US$ 11 Billion (30/01/2018)
- Solutions to attract Investment Capital into Industrial Parks in Bac Giang Province (19/01/2018)
- Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones Received 66 new Investment Projects (08/01/2018)