South Korea and Japan retailers post contrasting business results in Vietnam
Foreign companies now take 50% of the market share in Vietnam`s retail sector and the figure is forecast to rise in the coming time.
Aeon, a major Japanese retailer, started generating a profit of VND54 billion (US$2.31 million) as from 2016, while South Korean conglomerate Lotte Group reported an accumulated loss of VND800 billion (US$34.26 million) after 11 years of operation in Vietnam, CafeF reported.
Retail is one of the sector with highest growth rate in the Vietnamese market, reaching an average of 63% in the 2013 - 2016 period. In 2017, Vietnam's retail sales revenue reached US$129 billion, up 11% year-on-year.
Currently, 50% of the market share in Vietnam's retail sector belongs to foreign companies, which is forecast to be at a higher rate in the coming time.
Over the past years, Aeon has been expanding its retail network and purchasing shares of local retailers, including Citimart and Fivimart, showing the Japanese retailer's ambition of claiming a bigger share in Vietnam's market.
Aeon on track for positive business performance
Aeon established its subsidiary Aeon Vietnam in October 2011 with charter capital of US$192.38 million, which later opened a series of shopping malls in Tan Phu and Binh Tan districts (Ho Chi Minh City), Long Bien (Hanoi) and Binh Duong province.
In 2015, Aeon acquired a 30% stake in Fivimart and 49% in Citimart, with the two owning a combined network of 18 supermarkets in the northern region of Vietnam. Fivimart and Citimart targeted 30 supermarkets across Vietnam by 2020.
Aeon considered Vietnam's retail market has huge growth potential and plans to establish 20 large-scale shopping malls in the country by 2020. In addition to the existing four shopping malls, Aeon will shortly launch the other two in Hai Phong city and Ha Dong district (Hanoi).
In 2016, the Japanese retailer posted revenue of VND3.88 trillion (US$166.13 million), three times higher than the figure recorded in 2014, leading to a pre-tax profit of VND54 billion (US$2.31 million).
A year later, Aeon's revenue increased by 32% year-on-year to VND5.13 trillion (US$219.59 million), while pre-tax profit stood at VND234 billion (US$10.01 million).
The Japanese's recent positive business performance was partly thanks to Vietnam's consumer preference for Japanese products, for which Aeon is set to sell 30% of Japanese products, 30% of Vietnamese products and the remaining 10% from other countries in all of its malls.
Lotte with accumulated loss of US$192.38 million
In 2007 and 2008, Lotte Mart recorded revenue of VND30 billion (US$1.28 million), which went up to over VND600 billion (US$25.69 million) in 2009.
In the 2013 - 2016 period, Lotte Mart saw its revenue increase sharply, exceeding the VND5 trillion (US$214.09 million) mark in 2016 after 10 years of presence in Vietnam. The South Korean company posted revenue of VND5.26 trillion (US$225.19 million) in 2017.
Despite growing revenue over the last 11 years, Lotte Mart has been reporting losses since its establishment in Vietnam in 2006.
In the 2009 - 2011 period, the company's loss amounted to millions of USD. The figure then declined in 2012 and 2013, but increased to a high amount since 2014 to present. Specifically, the loss in 2017 was recorded at VND312 billion (US$13.34 billion), accumulating VND800 billion (US$34.26 million) in 11 years.
Jeong Seoung Won, Lotte Mart's CFO, in a press release sent to local media on May 18 said the reasons for the loss come from a series of shopping malls put into operation by Lotte Mart since 2008. Consequently, Lotte Mart launched the first shopping mall in Ho Chi Minh in 2008, from 2009 to 2013, Lotte Mart opened 5 additional malls. In the next three years, Lotte Mart continued opening seven malls and super markets.
Moreover, each shopping mall when put into operation would need an average from 5 - 8 years to reach a break-even point, Won said.
Since 2008 to present, Lotte Mart has invested VND8.9 trillion (US$389.3 million) in infrastructure development of 13 malls and super markets, as well as other business expenses including advertisement, marketing, promotion, administration.
Additionally, Lotte Mart is facing fierce competition from other competitors, resulting in low performance of those mentioned investments. Lotte Mart's CFO expected the company to start having profit by 2020, emphasizing its long-term commitment to invest in Vietnam and complying with the country's laws and regulation.
- RoK’s rural development group to invest in smart farming in Vietnam (15/07/2019)
- FDI reaches record level in four months (08/07/2019)
- Powering 220 kV Southern Sai Gon - Urban District 8 transmission line (27/06/2019)
- EVFTA Press Release - Official Announcement from the EU (26/06/2019)
- PM calls on Korean investors to expand operations in Vietnam (12/11/2018)
- E-commerce golden pass for logistics (12/11/2018)
- Hoa Phu Industrial Park - The destination of success (12/11/2018)
- Long Thanh airport’s feasibility study approved (12/11/2018)
- Renewable energy projects spur foreign investment surge (02/11/2018)
- New innovation centre to provide grounds for Vietnam 4.0 (02/11/2018)
- National Assembly set to ratify historic trade deal (02/11/2018)
- Overseas financiers outline obstacles (02/11/2018)
- Moody’s upgrades ratings on Vietnamese banks (01/11/2018)
- Foreign investors expand networks in Vietnam (01/11/2018)
- Altus Capital funded to invest in distressed Southeast Asian companies (01/11/2018)
- More FDI to reach southern region (01/11/2018)
- Foreign fashion giants set footprint in Vietnam through M&A (31/10/2018)
- Vietnam should be Samsung’s biggest global strategic hub: PM (31/10/2018)
- New-generation FTAs offer FDI firms more rights in Vietnam (31/10/2018)
- Foreign firms shift to Vietnam due to US-China trade war (31/10/2018)
- Key infrastructure projects calling for investment in HCMC (08/07/2019)
- Bac Ninh licenses 116 FDI projects in seven months (22/08/2018)
- Binh Phuoc licenses 24 projects worth $1 billion (22/08/2018)
- Hue targets $56mil in investment this year (15/08/2018)
- Hanoi seeks approval for Vingroup’s $300 million IT park (31/07/2018)
- List of Project Calling For Investment in Lam Dong Province in 2018 (31/07/2018)
- Kien Giang calls for investment in 12 resort projects (31/07/2018)
- Decree amendments open paid TV firms to foreign investment (30/07/2018)
- Vietnam: Opportunities in the Waste-to-Energy Sector (24/07/2018)
- Can Tho City seeks investment for 54 projects worth $5.4 billion (20/07/2018)
- Hoa Lac High-tech Park aims for $1 billion investment in 2018 (19/07/2018)
- Large-scale undersea tunnel to be constructed next year (19/07/2018)
- List of projects calling for investment in Northern region (08/11/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Central region (08/11/2017)
- List of Projects Calling for Investment in Tay Ninh Province (08/11/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Da Nang city (08/11/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Yen Bai province (08/11/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Binh Duong province (08/11/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Soc Trang province (08/11/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Cao Bang province (08/11/2017)
- 493 Projects Invested in Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones (09/02/2018)
- Thai Binh Strives to Attract Investment Capital of VND 5000 billion in Industrial Parks and Economic Zones (07/02/2018)
- Vinh Phuc Adds 4 New FDI Projects in Industrial Zones (07/02/2018)
- Dung Quat EZ and Quang Ngai IPs Attracted 258 Projects with a Total Investment Capital of More Than US$ 11 Billion (30/01/2018)
- Solutions to attract Investment Capital into Industrial Parks in Bac Giang Province (19/01/2018)
- Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones Received 66 new Investment Projects (08/01/2018)
- Nam Dinh: Attract Investment in Industrial Zones (22/12/2017)
- Bien Hoa Industrial Zones Attracted 390 FDI Projects (18/12/2017)
- Hai Phong's Capital Investment Call for Two Billion Dollar Projects (29/11/2017)
- Industrial Zones in Hoa Binh Attract 72 Investment Projects (29/11/2017)
- Investment Attraction from New City, Binh Duong (27/11/2017)
- Dung Quat EZ Receives 6 FDI Projects Worth $ 11 million (20/11/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Industrial parks in Binh Dinh province (07/11/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Industrial parks in Gia Lai province (07/11/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Industrial parks in Kien Giang province (07/11/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Industrial parks in Dong Thap province (31/10/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Industrial parks in Phu Tho province (31/10/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Long Binh An IP-Tuyen Quang province (31/10/2017)
- List of projects calling for investment in Industrial parks in Quang Nam province (31/10/2017)
- Map of industrial parks in Vietnam (05/10/2017)