Mekong Delta promising to Japan investors
Fresh chicken is loaded for export to Japan in the Mekong Delta province of Long An. - VNA/VNS Photo Thanh Binh
The Cuu Long (Mekong) Delta Region is a highly promising economic area and proves to be quite attractive to Japanese investors, according to Umeda Kunio, the Japanese ambassador to Viet Nam.
“I think it is a very effective meeting when leaders of 13 Mekong Delta provinces and 120 Japanese enterprises come together,” Umeda said at the conference titled Meeting with Japan in Mekong River Delta in Can Tho City yesterday.
The conference was held as part of the activities to celebrate the 45th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between the two nations. It drew participation of many Japanese businesses, with a third making their first step to Viet Nam and looking for investment opportunities in the Mekong Delta Region.
“Japanese enterprises have paid more and more attention to Viet Nam, and now there are a number of Japanese enterprises in Viet Nam, more than in Thailand and the highest in Southeast Asia, with total investment of US$9.1 billion,” Umeda said.
Kanaka TetSuo, head of the Japan International Co-operation Agency in Viet Nam, said “We know about the potential of and challenges facing the Mekong Delta. I’m sure more co-operation memorandums will be signed after more discussions and Japan will increase support for human resource training, agricultural production, combating forest fires and reducing salinity.”
“Viet Nam and Japan have been comprehensive strategic partners since 2014. Japan is now number one in providing official development assistance, number two in foreign direct investment, number three in tourism and number four in trading with Viet Nam,” Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Bui Thanh Son said. “The meeting is a very good chance to promote co-operation between the Mekong Delta and Japan.”
Vo Thanh Thong, chairman of the Can Tho City People’s Committee, said: “In recent years many foreign investors, including Japanese, have arrived in Can Tho and other Mekong Delta localities. Can Tho authorities have recognised the demand and we annually hold information, culture, investment exchange programmes, especially with Japan, to promote investment.
“Can Tho and other Mekong River Delta localities pledge to assist Japanese investors in doing business in the region, especially in infrastructure, transport, agriculture, healthcare, climate change, tourism and economy.”
Luu Quang Khanh, head of the Foreign Economic Relations Department, said Japanese assistance to Viet Nam accounted for 30 per cent of total foreign aid, focusing on energy, transport, agriculture and rural development, urban infrastructure, ports and heath care.
“Japanese-supported projects like Bach Mai and Cho Ray hospitals and Bai Chay, Thanh Tri, Nhat Tan, Can Tho bridges … have proved their effectiveness in improving Viet Nam’s social and economic conditions,” said Khanh.
He said in the future Japanese support for Viet Nam would focus on improving economic competitiveness, promoting the private sector, using natural resources effectively, coping with the consequences of economic development and supporting administrative reform.
Japanese investments are welcome in the Mekong Delta, Truong Tan Sang, Viet Nam’s former president, has said. The Vietnamese Government would strive to boost the development of the Mekong River Delta as well as limit the impacts of climate change on the land in the future, and develop co-operation with foreign investors, especially with an important partner like Japan, is highly encouraged, he said.
- FDI in Vietnam – Where is the Investment Going? (12/08/2019)
- HCM City solicits investment in infrastructure (30/07/2019)
- Vietnam - Japan Business Matching Symposium 2019 (29/07/2019)
- RoK’s rural development group to invest in smart farming in Vietnam (15/07/2019)
- FDI reaches record level in four months (08/07/2019)
- Powering 220 kV Southern Sai Gon - Urban District 8 transmission line (27/06/2019)
- EVFTA Press Release - Official Announcement from the EU (26/06/2019)
- PM calls on Korean investors to expand operations in Vietnam (12/11/2018)
- E-commerce golden pass for logistics (12/11/2018)
- Hoa Phu Industrial Park - The destination of success (12/11/2018)
- Long Thanh airport’s feasibility study approved (12/11/2018)
- Renewable energy projects spur foreign investment surge (02/11/2018)
- New innovation centre to provide grounds for Vietnam 4.0 (02/11/2018)
- National Assembly set to ratify historic trade deal (02/11/2018)
- Overseas financiers outline obstacles (02/11/2018)
- Moody’s upgrades ratings on Vietnamese banks (01/11/2018)
- Foreign investors expand networks in Vietnam (01/11/2018)
- Altus Capital funded to invest in distressed Southeast Asian companies (01/11/2018)
- More FDI to reach southern region (01/11/2018)
- Foreign fashion giants set footprint in Vietnam through M&A (31/10/2018)
- Key infrastructure projects calling for investment in HCMC (08/07/2019)
- Bac Ninh licenses 116 FDI projects in seven months (22/08/2018)
- Binh Phuoc licenses 24 projects worth $1 billion (22/08/2018)
- Hue targets $56mil in investment this year (15/08/2018)
- Hanoi seeks approval for Vingroup’s $300 million IT park (31/07/2018)
- List of Project Calling For Investment in Lam Dong Province in 2018 (31/07/2018)
- Kien Giang calls for investment in 12 resort projects (31/07/2018)
- Decree amendments open paid TV firms to foreign investment (30/07/2018)
- Vietnam: Opportunities in the Waste-to-Energy Sector (24/07/2018)
- Can Tho City seeks investment for 54 projects worth $5.4 billion (20/07/2018)
- Hoa Lac High-tech Park aims for $1 billion investment in 2018 (19/07/2018)
- Large-scale undersea tunnel to be constructed next year (19/07/2018)
- THU THUA INDUSTRIAL ZONE (15/01/2020)
- Map of industrial parks in Vietnam (23/07/2019)
- 493 Projects Invested in Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones (09/02/2018)
- Thai Binh Strives to Attract Investment Capital of VND 5000 billion in Industrial Parks and Economic Zones (07/02/2018)
- Vinh Phuc Adds 4 New FDI Projects in Industrial Zones (07/02/2018)
- Dung Quat EZ and Quang Ngai IPs Attracted 258 Projects with a Total Investment Capital of More Than US$ 11 Billion (30/01/2018)
- Solutions to attract Investment Capital into Industrial Parks in Bac Giang Province (19/01/2018)
- Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones Received 66 new Investment Projects (08/01/2018)