Japan top investor in Vietnam again
Japan’s investments reached $6.47 billion in the first half of 2018, accounting for 31.8 percent of the total FDI reported for the period.
A smart city megaproject in Hanoi has catapulted Japan back to the top of the list of foreign investors in Vietnam.
The project pushed Japan’s investments in the first half of 2018 to $6.47 billion, 31.8 percent of the total FDI reported for the period.
In second place is South Korea with an FDI of $5.06 billion, 24.9 percent of the total, followed by Singapore with 11.8 percent at $2.39 billion.
The significant spurt in Japanese FDI owes a lot to a $4.138-billion smart city megaproject in Hanoi. Japan had been Vietnam’s top foreign investor in 2017, but lost that spot in the first quarter of this year, before regaining it this month.
Vietnam and Japan sign the deal for smart city megaproject in Hanoi on June 5, 2018.
Total FDI in the first six months of the year jumped 5.7 percent year-on-year to $20.33 billion, according to the Foreign Investment Agency on June 27.
The manufacturing sector has led the field in attracting FDI, accounting for 38.9 percent of the first half total at $7.91 billion. Retailing stayed far behind at $1.5 billion, for 7.4 percent.
Despite many incentives in terms of tax and land, FDI investors have lagged behind their domestic counterparts in tax contributions, with the two sectors accounting for 25.28 and 43.82 percent of the total, respectively, said Dau Anh Tuan, Director of Legal and Compliance Department under the Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI).
So far this year, $8.37 billion in FDI has been disbursed, up 8.4 percent over the same period last year.
- RoK’s rural development group to invest in smart farming in Vietnam (15/07/2019)
- FDI reaches record level in four months (08/07/2019)
- Powering 220 kV Southern Sai Gon - Urban District 8 transmission line (27/06/2019)
- EVFTA Press Release - Official Announcement from the EU (26/06/2019)
- PM calls on Korean investors to expand operations in Vietnam (12/11/2018)
- E-commerce golden pass for logistics (12/11/2018)
- Hoa Phu Industrial Park - The destination of success (12/11/2018)
- Long Thanh airport’s feasibility study approved (12/11/2018)
- Renewable energy projects spur foreign investment surge (02/11/2018)
- New innovation centre to provide grounds for Vietnam 4.0 (02/11/2018)
- National Assembly set to ratify historic trade deal (02/11/2018)
- Overseas financiers outline obstacles (02/11/2018)
- Moody’s upgrades ratings on Vietnamese banks (01/11/2018)
- Foreign investors expand networks in Vietnam (01/11/2018)
- Altus Capital funded to invest in distressed Southeast Asian companies (01/11/2018)
- More FDI to reach southern region (01/11/2018)
- Foreign fashion giants set footprint in Vietnam through M&A (31/10/2018)
- Vietnam should be Samsung’s biggest global strategic hub: PM (31/10/2018)
- New-generation FTAs offer FDI firms more rights in Vietnam (31/10/2018)
- Foreign firms shift to Vietnam due to US-China trade war (31/10/2018)
- Key infrastructure projects calling for investment in HCMC (08/07/2019)
- Bac Ninh licenses 116 FDI projects in seven months (22/08/2018)
- Binh Phuoc licenses 24 projects worth $1 billion (22/08/2018)
- Hue targets $56mil in investment this year (15/08/2018)
- Hanoi seeks approval for Vingroup’s $300 million IT park (31/07/2018)
- List of Project Calling For Investment in Lam Dong Province in 2018 (31/07/2018)
- Kien Giang calls for investment in 12 resort projects (31/07/2018)
- Decree amendments open paid TV firms to foreign investment (30/07/2018)
- Vietnam: Opportunities in the Waste-to-Energy Sector (24/07/2018)
- Can Tho City seeks investment for 54 projects worth $5.4 billion (20/07/2018)
- Hoa Lac High-tech Park aims for $1 billion investment in 2018 (19/07/2018)
- Large-scale undersea tunnel to be constructed next year (19/07/2018)
- Map of industrial parks in Vietnam (23/07/2019)
- 493 Projects Invested in Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones (09/02/2018)
- Thai Binh Strives to Attract Investment Capital of VND 5000 billion in Industrial Parks and Economic Zones (07/02/2018)
- Vinh Phuc Adds 4 New FDI Projects in Industrial Zones (07/02/2018)
- Dung Quat EZ and Quang Ngai IPs Attracted 258 Projects with a Total Investment Capital of More Than US$ 11 Billion (30/01/2018)
- Solutions to attract Investment Capital into Industrial Parks in Bac Giang Province (19/01/2018)
- Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones Received 66 new Investment Projects (08/01/2018)