IFC seeks to unload US$350-million stake in Vietnam’s major bank
IFC`s 8% stake in VietinBank is now valued at nearly US$350 million.
The International Finance Corp., the private investment arm of the World Bank Group, is seeking a buyer for its entire stake in state-controlled Vietnam JS Commercial Bank for Industry and Trade, known as VietinBank, after seven years since its investment in the bank, Bloomberg reported, citing sources with knowledge of the matter.
IFC is working with an adviser on the potential sale of its 8% stake, valued at nearly US$350 million, according to the sources.
The stock of VietinBank ended up 2.4% at VND27,450 ($1.16) per share on September 20, giving it a market value of about VND102.2 trillion ($4.35 billion), the third-largest lender in the country by market value, according to exchange data. Its shares have risen 11% this year through September 20.
The State Bank of Vietnam owns a 64.5% stake in VietinBank. Japan’s Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc. (MUFG) is the second-biggest shareholder with a 19.7% stake. MUFG acquired a 19.7% stake in VietinBank for $742 million, the largest investment by a foreign investor in a Vietnamese bank so far, according to Bloomberg data.
Foreign investors now hold a combined 30% stake in VietinBank, the maximum allowed by law. IFC’s exit could be an opportunity for other buyers.
Hanoi-based Bank for Development and Investment of Vietnam (BIDV), another state-owned lender, has been seeking for foreign strategic investors for years. South Korea’s Hana Financial Group is reportedly planning to expand its foothold in Vietnam through an investment in BIDV.
- FDI in Vietnam – Where is the Investment Going? (12/08/2019)
- HCM City solicits investment in infrastructure (30/07/2019)
- Vietnam - Japan Business Matching Symposium 2019 (29/07/2019)
- RoK’s rural development group to invest in smart farming in Vietnam (15/07/2019)
- FDI reaches record level in four months (08/07/2019)
- Powering 220 kV Southern Sai Gon - Urban District 8 transmission line (27/06/2019)
- EVFTA Press Release - Official Announcement from the EU (26/06/2019)
- PM calls on Korean investors to expand operations in Vietnam (12/11/2018)
- E-commerce golden pass for logistics (12/11/2018)
- Hoa Phu Industrial Park - The destination of success (12/11/2018)
- Long Thanh airport’s feasibility study approved (12/11/2018)
- Renewable energy projects spur foreign investment surge (02/11/2018)
- New innovation centre to provide grounds for Vietnam 4.0 (02/11/2018)
- National Assembly set to ratify historic trade deal (02/11/2018)
- Overseas financiers outline obstacles (02/11/2018)
- Moody’s upgrades ratings on Vietnamese banks (01/11/2018)
- Foreign investors expand networks in Vietnam (01/11/2018)
- Altus Capital funded to invest in distressed Southeast Asian companies (01/11/2018)
- More FDI to reach southern region (01/11/2018)
- Foreign fashion giants set footprint in Vietnam through M&A (31/10/2018)
- Key infrastructure projects calling for investment in HCMC (08/07/2019)
- Bac Ninh licenses 116 FDI projects in seven months (22/08/2018)
- Binh Phuoc licenses 24 projects worth $1 billion (22/08/2018)
- Hue targets $56mil in investment this year (15/08/2018)
- Hanoi seeks approval for Vingroup’s $300 million IT park (31/07/2018)
- List of Project Calling For Investment in Lam Dong Province in 2018 (31/07/2018)
- Kien Giang calls for investment in 12 resort projects (31/07/2018)
- Decree amendments open paid TV firms to foreign investment (30/07/2018)
- Vietnam: Opportunities in the Waste-to-Energy Sector (24/07/2018)
- Can Tho City seeks investment for 54 projects worth $5.4 billion (20/07/2018)
- Hoa Lac High-tech Park aims for $1 billion investment in 2018 (19/07/2018)
- Large-scale undersea tunnel to be constructed next year (19/07/2018)
- Map of industrial parks in Vietnam (23/07/2019)
- 493 Projects Invested in Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones (09/02/2018)
- Thai Binh Strives to Attract Investment Capital of VND 5000 billion in Industrial Parks and Economic Zones (07/02/2018)
- Vinh Phuc Adds 4 New FDI Projects in Industrial Zones (07/02/2018)
- Dung Quat EZ and Quang Ngai IPs Attracted 258 Projects with a Total Investment Capital of More Than US$ 11 Billion (30/01/2018)
- Solutions to attract Investment Capital into Industrial Parks in Bac Giang Province (19/01/2018)
- Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones Received 66 new Investment Projects (08/01/2018)