HCM City solicits investment in infrastructure
Ho Chi Minh City’s authorities have called on local and foreign investors to invest in the city’s infrastructure.
The growing metropolitan area with 13 million inhabitants is facing problems caused by rapid urban development and struggling with climate-related problems, Le Thanh Phong, head of the Investment and Trade Promotion Centre’s investment promotion division, said.
"The demand for urban infrastructure is forecast to grow as a result of the rapid urbanisation," he told the Infrastructure Vietnam Summit which was held in HCM City last week.
“Traffic problems and flooding have hindered social and economic development.”
The city is soliciting investment of 53 billion USD in 210 projects, mostly in infrastructure, according to the official.
The city requires 42 billion USD for 85 transport infrastructure projects, including 55 roads and bridges, seven in waterway transport, eight in railways, and 15 road works.
It also needs 4.9 billion USD for 36 urban technical infrastructure projects, including drainage systems and wastewater treatment plants.
It plans to develop a satellite city in each of the four directions to help reduce the population pressure and stress on infrastructure in the city centre.
Nguyen Quoc Hien, director of the project preparation investment unit under the Management Authority for Urban Railways, said as a metro and an economic hub HCM City urgently needed to build an urban railway system.
Under a master plan approved by the Government, the city would develop an urban railway system with a total length of 220 km at a cost of 26 billion USD, including eight metro lines, one tramway line and two monorail lines, he said.
“The 220km urban railway system is modest compared to the city’s rapid economic growth and urbanisation.”
"Three of the metro lines have received funding commitments but they account for only 10 percent of the total cost and the remaining 90 percent investment has yet to be tied up," he said.
Tran Duy Binh, Director of KPMG Legal Limited, said lengthy procedures and multiple approvals were among the key irritants faced by foreign investors coming to the country.
It was also difficult and time-consuming to find an appropriate local partner, he added.
As of last month investors from 106 countries and territories had invested more than 45 billion USD in numerous sectors in the city.
- FDI in Vietnam – Where is the Investment Going? (12/08/2019)
- HCM City solicits investment in infrastructure (30/07/2019)
- Vietnam - Japan Business Matching Symposium 2019 (29/07/2019)
- RoK’s rural development group to invest in smart farming in Vietnam (15/07/2019)
- FDI reaches record level in four months (08/07/2019)
- Powering 220 kV Southern Sai Gon - Urban District 8 transmission line (27/06/2019)
- EVFTA Press Release - Official Announcement from the EU (26/06/2019)
- PM calls on Korean investors to expand operations in Vietnam (12/11/2018)
- E-commerce golden pass for logistics (12/11/2018)
- Hoa Phu Industrial Park - The destination of success (12/11/2018)
- Long Thanh airport’s feasibility study approved (12/11/2018)
- Renewable energy projects spur foreign investment surge (02/11/2018)
- New innovation centre to provide grounds for Vietnam 4.0 (02/11/2018)
- National Assembly set to ratify historic trade deal (02/11/2018)
- Overseas financiers outline obstacles (02/11/2018)
- Moody’s upgrades ratings on Vietnamese banks (01/11/2018)
- Foreign investors expand networks in Vietnam (01/11/2018)
- Altus Capital funded to invest in distressed Southeast Asian companies (01/11/2018)
- More FDI to reach southern region (01/11/2018)
- Foreign fashion giants set footprint in Vietnam through M&A (31/10/2018)
- [EuroCham Webinar] Decision 13 – Final FIT for Renewable Energy in Vietnam (23/04/2020)
- THE SITUATION OF ATRACTTING FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN THE FIRST 3 MONTHS OF 2020 (19/04/2020)
- Key infrastructure projects calling for investment in HCMC (08/07/2019)
- Bac Ninh licenses 116 FDI projects in seven months (22/08/2018)
- Binh Phuoc licenses 24 projects worth $1 billion (22/08/2018)
- Hue targets $56mil in investment this year (15/08/2018)
- Hanoi seeks approval for Vingroup’s $300 million IT park (31/07/2018)
- List of Project Calling For Investment in Lam Dong Province in 2018 (31/07/2018)
- Kien Giang calls for investment in 12 resort projects (31/07/2018)
- Decree amendments open paid TV firms to foreign investment (30/07/2018)
- Vietnam: Opportunities in the Waste-to-Energy Sector (24/07/2018)
- Can Tho City seeks investment for 54 projects worth $5.4 billion (20/07/2018)
- Hoa Lac High-tech Park aims for $1 billion investment in 2018 (19/07/2018)
- Large-scale undersea tunnel to be constructed next year (19/07/2018)
- THU THUA INDUSTRIAL ZONE (15/01/2020)
- Map of industrial parks in Vietnam (23/07/2019)
- 493 Projects Invested in Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones (09/02/2018)
- Thai Binh Strives to Attract Investment Capital of VND 5000 billion in Industrial Parks and Economic Zones (07/02/2018)
- Vinh Phuc Adds 4 New FDI Projects in Industrial Zones (07/02/2018)
- Dung Quat EZ and Quang Ngai IPs Attracted 258 Projects with a Total Investment Capital of More Than US$ 11 Billion (30/01/2018)
- Solutions to attract Investment Capital into Industrial Parks in Bac Giang Province (19/01/2018)
- Nghi Son Economic Zone and Industrial Zones Received 66 new Investment Projects (08/01/2018)